Tuesday, February 16, 2010

An Ode to the work space...

By Guest Blogger Daniella Kilov..

I want to pay homage to an American interiors magazine which unfortunately didn’t have a very long shelf life, but was truly inspirational for its photography, styling and colour palette… what I personally loved most about the mag was it’s practical and beautiful creative ideas. So get ready for some delicious images (in the upcoming installments) that will set your creative senses on fire.

With this said, as guest blogger my up and coming posts will take cue from Domino [image above via The Domino Magazine Files] and admire and love rooms displaying unique qualities which are so easy to achieve.

To kick start this endeavour I’m going to start with a room/space in the home which I really love. Being a creative, I think a work area becomes a sanctuary of inspiration. I find it hard to work anywhere other than in my workspace… Stay posted for the before and after images of my work space as I attempt to create the ultimate working area. In the meantime here are a few of my favourite workspaces.



I wish I was as organized as this.. though my explanation to anyone commenting on the state of my space is “organised chaos”. This area is certainly far from this- I love the idea of using different coloured storage boxes and magazine holders to create interest and inspiration. What a happy, pretty space.

If you’re the crafty type what a great way to jazz up your stationary and tools. You can find these tool boards at any hardware store. Choose your favourite colour and paint away. Not only is it great for organisation but what a great way to show off your weapons of choice.
[images above via BH&G]



[image above via kris atomic]

What I love about this gorgeous space is its versatility. Pieces are used a number of ways and the accents of colour generate enough interest to create intrigue. I love the bookshelf packed with magazines, books and objects. Not only is the book case a great place to store your favourite books and tid bits but each compartment becomes a focal point setting perhaps a theme or atmosphere for the space.

By alternating between stacking horizontally and vertically, overlaying books with framed pictures, vases and the like what a great way to create an interesting clutter free space.

Another great way to create areas in an open plan or small space is to either use room dividers or in this case the book case which acts as wall, come divider, come storage space.

Using colours with the same tonal values (the hot pink seat pad, the canary yellow roses and the bits of colours from the books) creates enough contrast with the black armchair as a focal point.
[above image Domino magazine via flickr]

Love the space… Interesting storage cabinets above the desk- great way of displaying your inspiration images without sacrificing space. [image above via made by girl]

Love the simplicity of the space. Never liked the idea of antlers… however they seem to work here. The focal point is not the poor antlers but the mass of images surrounding it. It therefore enhances the atmosphere of the space. [image via marie claire maison]

Glad to know Im not the only one suffering an abundance of magazines (which I can never get rid of!) [image via flickr]

If I were Barbie this would be my office… I love the contrast of powder pink, glossy black floors and black accented furnishings… but maybe just a little too pretty for me. I do love the idea of hiding the desk behind a set of cupboards. For a little more interest you could go a step further and find a beautiful wallpaper to place on the inside of the doors. The smallest details count. [image via coco+kelley]

Photographed by UK photographer Max Attenborough. This I could gladly settle into. By framing the inspiration board in a vintage frame it creates a focal point and a very individual piece of art work. [image above & below via Max Attenborough]


It really goes without saying no matter what the size of your space- you can really create something great. If you are someone like me who needs to have an inspiration board, buy a corkboard that fits the space and go wild. This way you can change your images. I just love the Cole and Son wallpaper on the cupboards at the bottom.

With all these sumptuous images- Im off to tackle my dream space…. Happy styling!



No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comment, we love to hear from you!